Thursday, June 7, 2012

PLFC EAL Students Interview the 'Hulk'...


We had a great opportunity to do a distance interview with Mr. Mark Ruffalo and asked some questions about his role as The Hulk, in the movie...

Questions to Mr. Mark Ruffalo
  1. Was it hard to act as Hulk? (Michelle)

MR: Acting the Hulk was very hard because I was always by myself. As an actor I really like working with other actors. I get very lonely working on my own. Plus it’s hard to be angry all the time. But it sure beats digging ditches.

  1. Would you have liked to be Hulk in real life? (Carlos)

MR: No, I like being who I am for the most part. It makes me happy that I get to be the Hulk while I am shooting the movie though.

  1. How many days did you spend preparing for your role as Hulk? (Bachi)

MR: Actually, one of the ways I prepare for a role is to day dream. That can take weeks at a time. Another way I prepared for Banner/Hulk was to write down my dreams. I also rehearsed a lot with Joss Whedon.

  1. Did you like playing Hulk or would you have liked to be another super hero in the film? (Aisha)

MR: When I was a boy I always loved the Hulk. I liked the Dr Jekyl/ Mr Hyde quality of his persona. I also always liked Iron Man when I was a kid. I loved playing the Hulk. It was a little difficult finding the balance between Banner and Hulk and I was nervous about making it believable because it is so fantastical.

  1. Was it hard pretending that you were hitting someone when in fact; there was no one next to you? (Aisha) 

MR: I was actually happy I wasn’t really hitting someone. I had to use my imagination a lot. I was alone during all the Hulk part of the shoot. 

  1.  How did you feel when you smashed Loki? For me it was the best part of the film... (Giorgiana)  

MR: It was a lot of fun and they gave me a little piece of foam about the length of my arm. I flung it and smacked it around in so many different ways. We were all actually laughing while we were doing it.

  1. Are they planning to make the Avengers sequels? (Marian)

MR: Well, no one is supposed to know this yet but because I trust that you will keep it to yourself until they announcing it… I can only say this. They are not planning on not making another Avengers in 2014

  1. Did you enjoy working in that movie? Why? (Piruntha)
MR: I enjoyed working on Avengers quite a bit. I was with a great group of people. I had already worked with Robert Downey JR and liked him. We really had a good time together and he was so kind to me. I was kind of the new kid to the group so I was very intimidated when we started. Robert made me feel welcome and comfortable. The rest of the group are just fantastic people and fine actors. I also really loved our director Joss Whedon.

  1. How do you feel to represent this big, enormous monster? If in real life you had this extra ordinary power, how would you control yourself? (Brindha)
MR: It was a little scary for me to do the Hulk. So many people love that character and so many others had already done a great job playing it in the past. The one thing that was exciting to me was that I would actually be able to play the Hulk and Bruce Banner. No one had done that in the past. It was kind of intense the day, I filmed turning into the Hulk. There is so much anger and rage in there and as an actor sometimes you have to get in touch with that side of yourself. It never feels too good after we get angry and raged. The same is true with the Hulk. Except this Hulk is so much fun to watch but there are scary moments with him too. If I was really the Hulk I would meditate to learn to control myself. When you meditate you learn to watch yourself before acting. You get to think before you move. When you meditate you become more self aware and you learn to reflect on yourself and your actions. So you learn to be able to control things like anger and sadness.

  1. What type of clothes did you wear, when playing Hulk? (YiHeng)
MR: I had to wear a spandex outfit when I played the Hulk. It was grey and black and very silly looking. It was the most unHulk like thing they could have possibly imagined to put me in. So much of my job was getting over feeling totally foolish while having to be so big, mean and fearless. Funny that.

Thank you all for your wonderful questions. I appreciate you taking the time to think them up. I wish the best to each and every one of you. Be the best you can be and treat the world the way you would want the world to treat you and your life will be a great work.

MR

Thank you very much for your great message and answers Mr. Ruffalo.We are looking forward to watching the next Avengers movie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment